Sporadic episodes of breathing discomfort muscle pain followed by rapid palpitations. Suggestion?

Hi...I awoke during the wee hours of this morning experiencing discomfort in breathing ....i tried different positions on the bed trying to get back to sleep , but the uncomfortable breathing got worse,muscles in my body began jumping so I assumed I was not getting enough oxyge . Long and short of it.... I never got back to sleep and eventually after a few hours the palpitations, inability to breathe properly and general feelings of discomfort eased. Have not been to a doctor for many many years but was in a vehicle accident probably 10-12 yrs ago where I experienced similar feelings for a while. Did not visit the doctor at that time either. For the last few months I sporadically experienced very brief (one minute at most) episodes of what I can only describe as palpitations in the area of my lungs. This has been becoming a bit more regular over the last few weeks. Can u shed any light?
Asked On : Mon, 16 Apr 2012