Sore throat, white spot on back of tongue. Had tonsils removed in childhood. Start of strep throat?

I woke up this morning with a terribly sore throat . I had my tonsils removed when I was a child as I am prone to strep throat and ear infections. I was just looking at my throat in the mirror and on the right side of my throat where I think my tonsils would be if I had then (behind my tongue but just before the opening of my throat) I noticed a small white spot. It looks like a whitehead from a pimple almost. Could this be the start of strep throat? My right ear also hurts.
Asked On : Sun, 2 Sep 2012