Sore throat, looks red & white, swollen glands, ear pain, neck stiffness, lethargic. Diagnosed sore throat. Problem?

I've had a tonsillectomy when a child. Im now 34. Never had any bad throat problems as an adult. For the last 2 months I've had a terribly sore throat, looks red & white at the back of my mouth. Swollen glands in neck. Stiffness in neck. Pain in ears. Always gets worse towards the end of the day to the point where swallowing is painful Plus I feel more tired & lethargic with no energy for no reason. My doctor has said its just a sore throat & it'll pass. But months on ... What do you think?
Asked On : Fri, 26 Apr 2013