Sore rash that starts on neck and spreads around, itchy. What is it ?

For the past 2 plus years I have had a flat red rash that starts on my neck and works it s way around the whole of my neck. It becomes hot, sore, and can be there for days. When it does go down I can pull little bits of skin off - a bit like sunburn . It s appearance looks a bit like I have been burnt. The skin can become taught. It can come and go on it s own accord. It normally starts when I feel my neck tingleing and some timed it can be itchy - quite itchy when it s completely around the whole of my neck. The doctors haven t been able to advise what it is and just tell me to moisturise it.
Asked On : Mon, 15 Oct 2012