Small child having sore throat, tongue pain, white spots on lips, tongue. Causes and treatment?

My 3 and a half year old sone complained of a sore throat two days ago. Today he said his tongue hurt when eating and throat hurt when swallowing . I noticed white spots on inside of lips earlier today. By this evening he started to cry at dinner and when i looked inside his mouth there were tiny white dots all over his tongue, and i can see more white lesion type things all over the back of his mouth and more on inside of lips. Nothing on the underside of tongue though. He doesnt have a fever. His voice sounds very scratchy. Any ideas of what this can be? One of the kids in our neighborhood just got over hand foot and mouth disease but I figure those dots are only red and I would see them on his hands and feet which I dont see any sign of. Please help. Its sunday evening and I would rather not have to expose him to an ER. Thanks!
Asked On : Thu, 26 Jul 2012