Sharp pain on left knee, unable to walk. MRI shows arthritis, small meniscus tear. How to cure?

i have had an Mri of my left knee and it shows arthritis and a small meniscus tear. tried a cortisone injection. symptoms: sudden sharp pain (very strong pain) on the left side of my knee that makes it impossible to walk without severe pain. Hurts all the time for anywhere from an hour to 4 days. then goes away. The muscles stay tender but heal although the sharp pain is gone. It may reoccur once a week or once a month and has occurred now for about 6 months. my ortho not sure what it is - thinks it may be the menicus. But it is along side the knee not inside the knee. area on left of knee very tender even when not having the sharp pain. do not feel the kneecap being out of position. could there be a way to be pinching a nerve or a spur from the arthristis that is in the knee pressing on a nerve?
Asked On : Mon, 21 Jan 2013