Can torn lateral meniscus cause pain and limited movement of inner hip ligaments and will knee surgery help?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been diagnosed with a torn or floating lateral or medial meniscus my problem is I also have pain and limited movement of my inner hip ligaments. Are these related and if so what's happening and when I have surgery on my knee will this help my hip also?
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Hip and knee complain may not be related. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us, I have studied your case with diligence. There is least possibility that your hip ligament movement is related to your knee meniscus injury. If you repaired your torn meniscus by arthroscopy there will reduction in your knee pain and your locking symptoms will be cured. For your restriction of movement in hip we will need to evaluate cause of restriction of movement by X-ray and MRI hip. You need to do proper physiotherapy protocol before and after your knee surgery to strengthen your quadriceps and hamstring muscles. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.