Fell down and injured right knee. Ultrasound revealed nothing. Having pain and the skin is discolored

Apr 2014

I fell last January on my right knee which had been injured about 15 years before. Ultrsound revealed nothing -- too much blood pooled right after fall. Neverr had anothe one done. With time, knee healed and I was able to return to my walking & stationary bike. However, now the knee is painful when getting out of a car and I can no longer do a complete round on stationary bike because of pain behind/side of knee. The skin on the outside of the knee is permanently discolored. Any suggestions for exercises, etc. to strength. My walking ability was never affected except right after fall for a few days.
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Early degenerative changes in knee joint

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

You must have been having post traumatic knee joint hemarthrosis which subsequently healed. The knee joint consists of bones, igaments and menisci. You have the anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments, medial and lateral collateral ligaments, menisci in between the surfaces of bones at the knee joint. The joints also have a joint capsule and synovium (joint lining membrane).

Any of the above mentioned structure might have been damaged but not as much to cause you limitations in walking and doing regular movements at your knee joint. With age, there might have been early development of degenerative changes and this is can cause erosions in the surface of the bones at the knee joint.

You must consult and orthopedician and get X XXXXXXX of the knee joint done. They will also do some clinical tests to see if your ligaments are alright.

Get well soon
Hope i have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care