Severe pain while removing tampons due to septate hymen. Is surgery required to remove it?

Hello! My name is Terese. I m 16 years old and I ve just recently started using tampons. I need to use tampons now in order to comfortably participate in sports, however I have the most difficult time taking them out. In fact, the process is EXTREMELY painful. I eventually discovered that I have a Septate Hymen , and I want to know whether or not surgery is required to remove it. I am a virgin currently, but will it break on it s own when I have sex in the future? Also, if I so get it surgically removed, how long is the recovery? Is the surgery painful? And is anesthesia used?
Asked On : Wed, 31 Oct 2012