Severe cramps, diarrhea, mucus and blood in stools. Emergency condition?

Yesterday evening I started getting really bad cramps similar to period cramps. By the time I went to bed I had diarrhea . During the night and this morning I have gone to the bathroom over 10 tims and now my stool consists of mucus and what looks lik blood. The cramping goes away and comes back. Everytime it comes back I have to go to the bathroom and all that comes out is small amount of the blood/mucus subtance. I m going to make an appt with my dr but should I be going to the ER in the meantime?
Asked On : Wed, 19 Dec 2012