Severe abdominal pain, infection post a VP shunt for NPH. No improvement with medicines, advised removal of shunt. Suggestions?

I HAVE HAD SEVERE ABDOMINAL PAIN SINCE I HAD A VP SHUNT FOR NPH AFTER A SEVERE BRAIN INJURY FROM A WRECK. IT HAS BEEN ALMOST A YEAR AND I HAVE HAD CT SCANS ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS AND THE ER DR AND THE RADIOLOGIST SAID THAT I HAD AN INFECTION LIKE THEY HAD NOT SEEN IN THEIR 13 YEARS OF PRACTICE IN ER. I HAD A ROUND OF ANTIBIOTICS AND FOLLOWED UP WITH MY NS AND HE TOLD ME ALL HE COULD DO WAS TAKE IT OUT. IT HAS HELPED ME SO MUCH WITH MY PREVIOUS SEVERE HA AND INCONTINENCE AND SLURRED SPPEECH I DON T WANT TO HAVE TO HAVE IT REMOVED BECAUSE IT HAS HELPED SO MUCH. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Asked On : Sun, 8 Apr 2012