Sever abdominal pain. Diagnosed bowel cancer. Treated for fibroid. Help?

I have just moved onto the next page of this website and realise i cannot go any further as i have no credit card. My apologies. Eighty year old women treated for urinary infection for number of years then severe abdominal pain then series of tests to find cause 1. bowel specialist gave the ok although 15 years ago diagnosed bowel cancer was removed. 2. thyroid test came back positive 3. next specialist looks at Cyst on ovary as scan discovers this who now wants to do a biopsy as he said thickening of uterus needed to be investigated. Oops pain much more severe at night. Has also lost stone in weight last three months while pain and investigations take place. What does all this mean Regards very worried relative ps i am only looking to understand what is happening and the thinking of the drs. as this is a close relative i also wonder about heredity diseases. I have been diagnosed with hyper and now hypo thyroid. Daughter has been treated for fibroid which has been 18cm in length and appeared to compete with baby in womb for both pregnances. I suppose i was also wondering with all these problems associated with three generations what measurements can be taken to avoid the 80 year old plight ie food, vitamins etc not thinking of long term medication just lifestyle changes to avoid certain scenarios
Asked On : Tue, 19 Mar 2013
Apr 2013
Hi and welcome to HCM. This isn easy to answer. I am afraid i didnt understand the question but as I see you are woried about 80year oold woman and possibilityof cancer development in her relative including you.
Well, affinity to certain cancers(especially breast, ovarian, uterine and colorectal) is associated with genetic predispositions. There is no doubt about it but it shouldnt concern you and make your life insecure.This is still small possibility,it is impossible to calculate it. All you need to do is to look for sign and symptoms more carefuly then the others and do often examinations and preventive tests especially after 40.year. Your doctor will know about these tests. This patient hasserious symtpoms and cancer in history so it definitely needs to be investigted and treted. All you can do is to live healthy, eat healthy food, avoid alcohol and smoking. You cant change your genetics but can change life habits and think positively. Every human can get cancer no matter about his genetic potential and it is apsurd to be concerned about this possibility because someone in our family has it.
WIsh I ve been helpful.