Sensation of swollen tonsils and had difficulty swallowing. Tested negative strep. Why does wide mouth hurt still?

I had a week and a half long cold that ended maybe 5 days ago. Doctor said it was just a virus that needed to run its course as I tested negative for strep . Throughout sickness had difficulty swallowing . Felt like right tonsil was swollen. Doctor dismissed it as nothing after second visit as she didn t mention she saw any irritation or swollen glands. Now after all this time it has transferred to my left side and it feels like a lump when I swallow. When I open my mouth wide and stretch the left side I can feel pain.
Asked On : Wed, 8 Aug 2012