Salivation in infants

Hi Dr, My baby is one year and three months old, but salivation is still continuing. Why it is so? Is it a problem?
Asked On : Tue, 15 Feb 2011
Dentist 's  Response
In infants as well as in old age individuals,salivation will be usually increased due to lack of control of cheek muscles over saliva secretion.
Usually at the age of 6-7 years ,child will attain the capacity to control drooling of saliva.
This is usual in your baby's case.
Also there will be gag reflux,due to which child wont be able to open moth for more than 15 seconds,which in turn can lead to drooling of saliva,water etc.
If salivation is too high,anti-sialogogues has to be administered.
Hope this helps.
ENT Specialist Dr. Naveen Kumar's  Response

Relax! This is very common in the infants up to the age of two years. There is nothing abnormal in it. This is because there are inherent mechanisms in the body which causes salivation and child does not have control over it.

Dr. Naveen Kumar