Experiencing tightness in neck, pins and needles on face and feeling disoriented. Any cure?

I have been experiencing tightness in my neck, like I am been choked. Now I have pins and needles on the left side of my face and moving over to my nose. Then it feels like pins and needles in my head. Feel disoriented. I also feel like I am having a hot flash after. Lots of pressure on face. I do wear glasses and they feel heavy on my face.
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 36 minutes later
Dear friend,

Welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at XXXXXXX

I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

As you have many problems and medications, I would like you to answer a few questions to go near the exact problem.

I hope you do not mind answering them.

What is your blood pressure of late?
Is there a swelling in the neck (like lymph nodes)?
Why were you advised amitriptyline?     
Do you have any giddiness/ dizziness?
Do you get hot flushes like menopause?
Does the face deviates to one side or saliva drools?
Is there any visual disturbance?

I would be glad to assist once I get this information.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at

Thank you.
Follow-up: Experiencing tightness in neck, pins and needles on face and feeling disoriented. Any cure? 1 hour later
To answer your questions: I am on amitriptyline at bedtime and have been on it since 1986. I do not sleep without medication so I take it with the zopiclone at nite. Even then I wake up every 2 hours. My blood pressure is good, I have a blood pressure machine and take it regularly. It was 136/70 with pulse 96 this morning. Yes, I get hot flashes with menopause even with the medication. My lymph nodes are not swollen. I check them on a regular basis. Yes, I have dizziness. My face feels somewhat numb. I only drool sometimes at nite. There is not visual difference. I am 130 lbs and very aware of good health and try consciously to do what is best for my body. I do not drink alchol, lots of water, no not smoke, do not eat red meat. Taking a multi vitamin and Vitamin B12. I appreciate you quick response. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 8 hours later

Thanks for the information.

It is good to know that you are so consciously have the illness in control.

I am a bit cautious here because of dizziness, tingling numbness, altered sensation in the face, salivary drooling and tightness in the neck. These are the pointers to some brain problem (not necessarily that you have it). Even with well controlled diseases, it is possible at your age and for your co-morbidities to have a brain related issue. You are already on B12.

I would recommend you to see your physician to evaluate you for any ischaemic cause (blood supply related) in the brain or some lesion there causing lower cranial nerve involvement. You may need a careful neurological assessment.

Less commonly, the symptoms may be non-specific; but that would be difficult to comment without a check-up.
Do you have some speaking difficulty or slurred speech, imbalance?
Is it difficult to swallow?

Please revert if you have anything to tell/ ask.
I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this answer.

Good Luck!