Removed tampon. Vaginal swelling and itching. Is it yeast infection?

Hi, On the last day of my period, I went too remove my tampon , I was slightly dry and kind of itchy. Later that day I noticed I was red, swollen and extremely itchy. It s been day 3 now and I still have the same symptoms. It s tender so I can t wipe although it doesn t hurt when I pee... I have discharge but it doesn t smell. I don t know what s going on :( my friend told me too try monistat 3 but if I don t have a yeast infection would it be harmful?
Asked On : Sat, 10 Nov 2012