Recurring UTI. On cefalexin medication, no relief. Hysterectomy, catherization done. Can I take nitrofurantoin?

Hi I have a reoccurring UTI , apparently the same bacteria as I have had 3 times previously this year! Didn t help I had a hysterectomy 4 weeks ago and being catheterised didn t help. Anyway I was originally put on cefalexin for close to two weeks, but still I ended up at A&E in agony they prescribed ciprofloaxin that I took for ten days and still no joy. After a culture test it turns out bacteria was resistant to the cafelexin ( so took it for no reason) now prescribed nitrofurantoin which makes me terribly breathless, I m at my wits end.should I stop taking it? The doc is away its Saturday. Just can not cope with being so breathless. Also I m allergic to penicillin and NSAIDs what other meds could I take?? Please help
Asked On : Wed, 25 Jul 2012