Reason for early thick brown bleeding? On birth control pills, burning sensation while urinating

I started bleeding yesterday two weeks before my period and it was dark brown and dark red and thick. I am on birth control and have been for years. What could this be? I just passed a cold and during the cold I experienced burning sensation while urinating so I started to drink a lot of water and cranberry juice. Could this be part of what s happening now?
Asked On : Thu, 18 Oct 2012
Infections, especially those involving the pelvic region, cause menstrual disturbances. The type of the spotting you are experiencing is suggestive of breakthrough bleeding. This is likely to have happened due to the urinary infection you have suffered from. It is also likely that the hormone status is disturbed as a result of the infection. Please get proper evaluation by a specialist to plan further management. This cycle may not be protected. You will need styptics, hormone supplements and proper treatment for the infection. Hope this helps.