Protrusion near sternum, rib seems to stick out, have intermittent pains, suspicion of cartilage. Suggestions?

My son Craig has a protrusion near his sternum on his left side rib cage. It seems like a rib sticking out. He has had an x-ray that showed that they are all lined up from the side it seems like it is getting bigger. It was suggested by his doctor that it could be cartilidge but it feels like bone to me. He is getting further tests for his heart etc. since it is giving him pain which he has infrequently. He is very sleightly underweight and 17 years old. It does seem like it is getting bigger. Does cartilage feel like bone? What tests should we request? Thankyou Regards, Steve
Asked On : Tue, 16 Oct 2012