Problems in TSH, T3, T4, HDL, LDL. Got a comprehensive test. Lipicard, thronorm prescribed. Suggestions?

Hi Doctor,
I have just gone through a comprehensive test and got following problematic reports
Tsh - 14.7 , T3 - 68 , T4 - 5.6,

HDL - 41 , LDL - 110, Triglyceride - 315 , VLDL - 63

I have consulted a cardiologist and he prescribed two drugs for two months - Lipicard 200 Mg and thronorm 50 Mg.

My query is , should I start these drugs immediately or should I do some lifestyle changes including less fatty foods as well as physical activities like morning walk and see the results after 1-2 months and then decide.

I understand that once I start taking thyroid medicine , it will become mandatory for me to take it for my entire lifetime. Is this correct.

Kindly guide me.

Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013
Welcome to HCM,
Your report shows high TSH which suggest hypothyroidism,please start therapy with Thyronorm 50 microgram/day (Please note dose is in microgram and not in mg)
Your Triglycerides are high(315) at this level drug therapy is not recommended,but at this level diet changes like taking less carbohydrates that is calories and fats with good amount of physical exercise along with correction of hormonal deficiency of Thyroid is likely to improve your Lipid profile.
Please don't delay treatment of Hypothyroidism as it should be started soon.
This is in most cases continuous supplement lifelong this is not true there are many cases where thyroid deficiency is temporary.
You should visit a Endocrinologist for this for proper investigation of cause.
Once treatment is started then periodic check up of Thyroid function is required and dose can be adjusted depending on result of tests.

Good luck
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Hi, Ashvani,
Welcome to HCM,
From report it shows your all blood reports are quite high and requires treatment as soon as possible.
Do not wait till 2-3 months.
Along with medicine you should do,
1, Change the life style, avoid sedentary life.
2, Avoid junk food, sweets and fats.
3, Do regular exercise like walking, swimming 30-35 minutes, 5 days in a week.
4, Avoid alcohol or smoking if you have habit of them.
You have to continue medicine for long time and after 3-6 months go for thyroid function test and then dose of medicine can be adjusted.
Then you will have to continue the medicine on maintenance dose.
Ok and bye.