Diagnosed with hypothroidism. Taking thyronorm tablets. Planning for a baby. What can be done?

Hi,I m a married lady.I was diagnosed with hypothroidism with tsh of 8 one year ago and from then onwards I m taking thyronorm latest tsh is 2.8 and I m on thyronorm 50 dosage.I m planning to get pregnant.what should I take care for the email is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 1 hour later

Thyroid disorders have been associated with fertility and menstrual problems. If hypothyroidism has been detected preconceptionally then dose of thyroxine should be adjusted to maintain a TSH level below 2.5 MIU/L.

During pregnancy, TSH should be maintained below 2.5MIU/L in first 3 months and below 3MIU/L in rest of the pregnancy.

To achieve these levels. dose of thyroxine needs an increase by 30-50% at 4-6 weeks of gestation in previously controlled patients.

In my opinion, you should get your thyroid levels checked again and consult your doctor to increase the thyroxine dose to bring your TSH levels below 2.5 MIU/L and then plan your pregnancy. After conception, get your thyroid levels checked again immediately to make necessary changes in dose.

Hope this information is helpful and informative to you. If you have any further query you can directly reach out to me on the following URL: