Primary syphilis, chancre in penis. TPHA test positive, HIV test non-reactive. Am I HIV negative?

i was diagnose have THPA positive this month of (Nov 2012), but the last time a had sex was 5 years ago. does it mean im in tertiary stage? even without experiencing secondary symptoms of syphilis .?? few months ago im experiencing the symptoms of having primary syphilis, i found chancre in my penis . my HIV test is Non Reactive. does it mean i am HIV negative??
Asked On : Tue, 4 Dec 2012
i do not think u are in tertiary stage .actually tertiary stage occurs only after secondary stage is present.sometimes TPHA test positive indicates only past infection and vdrl should be done to know whether infection is present or not .tpha once positive will be always positive through out the life unless treated in time.time factor does not indicate tertiary stage it is only the symptoms which decide it,.hiv test nonreactive indicates u are hiv negative
HIV AIDS Specialist Dr. S. Murugan's  Response
Welcome to HIV.

You had primary Syphilis and TPHA positive, and now remains without any symptom. You had your exposure 5 year back. This means that you are now having late latent Syphilis and not in Tertiary Syphilis.
Nonreactive HIV test indicates that you free fro HIV.
Dr S.Murugan