What is the normal count of RBC in semen analysis ?

today i got my semen analysis done in that RBC is coming 8-10hpf is it normal
Asked On : Sat, 18 Feb 2012
Thanks for posting query.
Having red blood cells (RBC’s) in the semen is not normal and must be investigated further. It can be due to infection or trauma during masturbation but there are other causes like UTI, urethral calculi.

You have to visit your physician. Some test like complete blood count, urine for culture sensitivity, USG-KUB (ultrasound of the kidney-ureter-bladder region). These tests need to be done to find out the cause so that appropriate treatment can be started.
Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly.

3 users find this helpful

OBGYN Dr. Soumya's  Response

Generally semen does not contain RBC. RBC presence indicates mild bleeding. It is called HEMATOSPERMIA in medical terms.

The possible causes could be as follows:

1) Trauma Causes
Urethral trauma

2)Infectious Disorders (Specific Agent)
Endourethral chancre, luetic
Infected organ, Abscesses
Prostatitis, acute
Prostate abscess
Prostatitis, chronic

3) Neoplastic Disorders
Adenocarcinoma, prostate
Urethra, carcinoma

4) Anatomic, Foreign Body, Structural Disorders
Urethra, calculus, in males
Prostate calculus

Please get further evaluation done by an andrologist to know the exact cause of hematospermia in you.

3 users find this helpful