Pregnant while on mirena birth control, abortion done, stomach pain, got the IUD above uterus

Hi, I m a mother of a 5 month old. After I gave birth my obgyn told me I should have the mirena birth control ( IUD ) put in. I did so. I got pregnant and booked an abortion appointment. I was going through with the procedure and I had told the doctor, who was doing the procedure that the IUD was still inside. Before she did the vacuuming she searched for the IUD and said I may have flushed the IUD out of my body (whatever that means) and then proceeded to do the abortion. Three days later I had severe stomach pains and went to the walk-in. They sent me to the emergency room. They did blood work and x-rays. They showed the the x-ray and the IUD is above my uteras or at the top of it and its bent. They told me to call my obgyn on Monday. But will they have to do surgery to take the IUD out or can it be taken out like it was put in?
Asked On : Wed, 21 Mar 2012