Pregnancy test positive, started spotting, reddish brown discharge. HCG 3500, ultrasound found nothing. Why ?

Hello,I had done a pregnancy test at home 5 weeks back which came out to be positive.Everything was normal since last to last afternoon I started spotting redish/brownish(no dischurge is coming out though).I rushed to the hospital and they did the urine test which was positive. HCG level was 3500 but in transvaginal untrasound they did not find anything.What can be the reason?Is it too early to find a gestational sac as I had sex 30/10,2/11/4/11(not before that.And my last period was on 18/10.I did a ovulation test on 30/10 which showed that I ovulated around 30th.
Asked On : Sun, 9 Dec 2012