25 years old. i have a problem of hirsutism ..... i wanted to ask you is this problem cure by pranayam or i should take help of a doctor .
Asked On : Sat, 18 Feb 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014

No, hirutism problem cannot be treated by pranayam.

Mild hirsutism can be treated with a variety of techniques for hair removal. These techniques do not address the cause of the problem, only the excessive hair.

Depilatories are products that dissolve hair. These products can irritate sensitive facial skin.
Eflornithine hydrochloride (Vaniqa®) cream is a newer topical product that does not remove hair but acts to reduce the rate of hair growth.
Electrolysis is a technique that uses a mild electric current to damage the hair follicle.
laser or intense-pulsed light treatment.

At last you can visit to your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.

Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Munish Sood's  Response
1. hirsutism occurs due to hormonal changes, thus Yoga won't be effective in treating the problem.
2. you should seek help of a gynecologist, who will go through your hormonal profile (TFT,FSH,LH) and USG-Abdomen to rule out PCOS.
3. treatment depends upon removing the underlying pathology.
4. removal of unwanted hairs is recommended from cosmetic point of view.
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Geeta Sundar's  Response
Hi Nistha, welcome to HCM. Hirsutism can be normal, due to a condition called PCOD or a hormonal disorder. Please get your total hormonal assay done and a pelvic sonography to rule out PCOD. Both are treatable coditions with drugs. However if the tests are normal, you can undergo laser or photo light treatment to get rid of unwanted hair. No, I do not think Pranayam will help in this condition. Hope this answers your query and wishing you all the best.
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Peddiramadevi's  Response
Dear Nishita pranayam is method of relaxing the body and mind, when it comes to real problems and aggravated problems it is not the right method hence you should meet a qualified doctor so that your problem if its recent should be ruled out as pcos or hormonal imbalance or any changes in the other brain hormones and 2) if its there since young consider it as genetic.