Popping in ear, itchy, sore pain. Tried oil, cleaned with cotton. Advise to stop this?

HI, my left ear keeps popping and un popping it is not painful but it feels itchy and kind of a sore throbbing pain like when you stubb your toe! it has happened for about a week, i have brought that oil that doctors recommed to clean your ears out and have gently cleaned with cotton buds, i dont know what else to do or how to get rid of it without hassling my gp, any advise how to get this to stop? sometimes the pain feels just like normal ear ache but it seems to make the whole left side of my face ache when this sort of pain happens.
Asked On : Fri, 26 Apr 2013