Poor appetite, sleeplessness, increased agitation, less verbal, regression. Taking straterra. Why?

My autistic grandson will be 6 years old next month and is taking strattera in a study in Pittsburgh. He has been on it for 5 weeks and it has beena nightmare!! He started out at 10 mg a day and is now up to 35 mg with the optimal dosage to be 40mg. Since he has been on it I have observed these behaviors, appetite is poor, trouble falling asleep at night(even though he takes 1 mg of melatonin), increased agitation, emotionless, less verbal, and doesn't want to play with his toys anymore. All he wants to do for hours is play games on his IPad. As an elementary teacher I am looking at observable behaviors and see such a regression.
I am worried sick about this and right now he is just a shell of what he used to be? Would you keep your patient on this if you see such symptoms occurring?
Asked On : Tue, 23 Apr 2013