Pain and burning sensation in the left side of neck and feet with numbness.

hi, my mom who is 54yrs has this pain and burning sensation in the left side of her neck, down to her feet. The burning is inside the skin whiles there is numbness outside. The pain sometimes gets so severe she has to take strong pain killers. It actually started with some kind of stroke (at least that s what the doctors told us) which disabled her for a while. She now walks but not as perfect as before. Doctors here have tried so many medicines but we are yet to find one that can help. What do you think is wrong,Please help.
Asked On : Thu, 10 Feb 2011