Numbness on the left side of whole body.What do you think the reason is for pain and numbness ?

Hi, My mom is about 62 yrs old. She has persisting pain and numbness in the left side of her neck, left shoulder , left hand and down to thighs and feet. The pain is inside the skin while there is numbness outside. The pain and numbness sometimes get so severe (particularly in the left thigh) that she cannot walk. She also unable to sleep towards left side due to the pain. Doctors here have tried so many medicines but we are yet to find one that can help. What do you think the reason is for Pain and Numbness? Thanks
Asked On : Fri, 11 Feb 2011