PET scan shows fissure in lobe. Have chronic cough and breathlessness. Chances of biopsy?

Hello, I am a 37 year old female, recently diagnosed with suspected renal cell carcinoma . It is stage 1, and the tumor is 2,3 cm. I had a PET scan last week because of a chronic cough and very mild shortness of breath, and a 4 mm nodule was detected adjacent to the major fissure within the right lower lobe . The report says Displays no abnormal FDG uptake but might be too small to be accurately characterized by PET. This is felt to probably represent a small area of atelectasis or scarring . The final summary says it is suspicious for metastatic disease. I will be seeing a pulmonologist soon, and am wondering what the chances are that he will want to do a biopsy, given my RCC? My urologist doesn t seem too concerned, but as a mother of 2 very young girls, I am very concerned. With RCC stage 1, what are the chances that this is metastatic disease? I also have a reactive lymph node within the right hilum. What does that mean? Thank you so much! --Linda
Asked On : Wed, 21 Nov 2012