PCOS, continuous weight gain. Nausea, headaches, hair loss on taking metformin. How to control side effects?

Hi Dr. Lundi, my name is Catherine and my daughter Marissa, age 26, has had PCOS since age 14. She continues to gain weight and now weighs 210 pounds. She usually will naturally produce a period every 3-4 months, although this past November we had to force a period with medication . She also has boils on her upper inner thighs and also around her bum where she has to sit on them. They are all quite painful. We have been following a low glycemic diet and her weight has remained steady while on college break but the boils are still rotating through one after another. We are fearful for her health and future health. She has tried titrating metformin a few times but has had nausia, headaches and hair loss , and never sticked with it long enough to get to a steady full daily dose. She is willing to try metformin again but we are wondering if this is still the first line of defense for PCOS or is there newer medical research that we don t know about. She is an extremely stressed out young lady. One continued source of stress is related to her hair. It is now long and she would love to keep it that way. Are there any hair growth therapies we could try to counteract the assumed hair loss caused by the metformin?
Asked On : Thu, 24 Jan 2013