On pill. Started having heavy periods and severe cramps. Is this normal?

hi, i am concerned about my period. i have been on the pill over 8 months and have had no problems up to now. i finished my pack two weeks ago. had my break of 7 days before starting another. i realised this morning that i had missed 3 days as all last week i was caring for my poorly mum and forgot about them. i took the first two days then missed the next three, although i took another this morning, have came on my period again heavy and having cramping like period pains. i have been sexually active with my partner and just wandered if its normal for me to be bleeding again so soon? thanks.
Asked On : Fri, 9 Nov 2012
Since you have missed three pills in a row, this cycle is no longer protected. You needed additional protection. Also, this irregularity must have resulted in hormone imbalance and thus caused the bleeding. In the current scenario, exclude pelvic causes through a clinical evaluation and a sonogram. You may go for hormone supplements if the bleeding does not subside. Please see a specialist for further evaluation and management. Please use additional protection for the rest of the cycle. Take care.