My son skipped school today and was smoking pot

I have a thirteen year old son who is normally a really well mannered child. I don't put a lot of pressure on him except the usual "go to school, do your homework and put your clothes away. Today he skipped school and lied to me about it. He didn't come home until nearly 5:30pm. He just kept lying and lying and I kept catching him in his lies. He says this is his first time but I am thinking it is not. He's just different. Please can someone give me advice on how to handle this?
Asked On : Fri, 18 Dec 2009
i know you wont like hearing my answer... but i'll give it anyways cuz it comes from another point of view... pot really isnt that bad... maybe if you sit down and talk with your son about it (if you know about it) see his point of view and your point of view... then maybe set some ground rules... like if he really wants to smoke it he's gonna smoke it wheather you like it or not so it'll just split you guys apart more and more in the future... and if he's only smoking pot be glad about that... there are things out there that are a thousand times worse... so cut some deals with him maybe like if he goes to school and keeps his grades reletively alright then he can indaldge once in a while... i know this is probably the worst sounding answer but if he say does it outside at home after you two come to an agreement with this at least you can keep some peace of mind that he is still going to school and working hard and when he does do it at least you'll know where he is and that he is okay... dont threten him whatever you do... you said it yourself that he is a really well mannered kid so talk to him see his point of view... dont allow something like this come between you two and maybe even make things worse... its all about compromise.... you have to give and take just try and do the right thing... whatever that might be