Mild oesphegitus, ulceration, chest pain, inflamed lymph node, cramps.What is cause and treatment?

Hi There, I had an upper endoscopy last october which revealed mild oesphegitus and ulceration due to gerd. I was prescribed PPIs for 3 months, they made a bit of a difference but did not completely cure me and whenever I got stressed at work or had a long day I could feel chest pain. Exercise and running was the best way to cure any chest pain and I feel great when working out or after rest. However, I still have the same symptoms and even a careful diet does not completely cure. I also have pain under left armpit and a small inflamed lymph node under left jawbone near left ear. Some foods make me feel much better, yoghurt, spinach etc and some worse, bread etc. I have had a negative celiac test. I also have occasional muscle cramps in arms and calves. Do you think it could be eosonphillic oesphegitus and is it worth me getting a chest x-ray since when I stretch or sometimes exert myself in a strange way I can feel oesphegal pain as if I have torn something. I also get occasional back pain.
Many thanks,
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
The symptoms you are having could be due to esophagitis.Increase in acid out put and loose lower esophageal sphinter produces reflux of gastric acid into esophagus which produces oeesophagitis.There are many causes for increase acid output stress,spicy food,alcohol,smoking and infection of stomach by bacteria called Hpylori are common causes.What type of esophagitis your having only upper G I endoscopy and biopsy can determine.Lymph node under left jaw bone is called cervical lymph node could be due to some infection in oral cavity or neck.There is no harm in getting chest X Ray done.It can explain pain under armpit to some extent.I would suggest you to consult a physician who may be able to get your upper G I endoscopy and chest X R ay done to determine the cause of chest pain.
Hope this answers your question.