Meaning of systolic and diastolic blood pressure measurement and pulse

Can someone please explain in very simple terms the meaning of systolic and diastolic blood pressure measurement and pulse. What is the most important number. I recently measured 164 / 121 with a pulse of 93. Since 26 Sept, my readings have been: 193/140. 172/91. 164/121 (P:93). 170/119. 161/110 (P:109). 156/62 (P: 115). 174/84 (P: 75). 142/104 (P: 101). I have been to see my doctor but he doesn t seeem unduly concerned though he says it s a bit high but I don t think medication is necessary . Any serious educated advice would be appreciated, particularly an explanation of the numbers. Thanks in advance.
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009