Major headaches, cough. Mucus yellow or clear. Why is it persisting?

For months now I have been waking up between 3 and 4 am coughing. It lasts about an hour. Sometimes I get a major headache after coughing like crazy and sometimes I don t. I find myself getting up and getting on the couch so I can try to sleep sitting up thinking it will help my lungs from filling up with mucus . Sometimes I go back to sleep and sometimes I don t. I will make coffee thinking if I drink something warm will help me stop coughing and it will after about 10 mins and then there s times it dosnt help. I will cough and spit out any mucus if there is any that comes up. It s a little white or maybe it s clear I m not sure I know that it s not yellow or green like I m sick it looks clear. This has been going on for months and I mean months and it s making me crazy. I do smoke about 1/2 pack of marbol light cigerats Im not sure of this is the cause. I m a little worried but tired of doing this at least 5 nights a week if not 7. I don t coughs durning the day nor do I cough befor I go to bed so I m clueless but want to know why I keep doing this. And I will get a headache pretty much everyday at around 2 pm in the afternoon and I don t know why that happens either but I need up taking Advil twice a day. In the morning if I had a coughing spell the night before and then again around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Please help need sleep
Asked On : Mon, 23 Apr 2012