MRI shows disc dehydration and posterior central protrusion narrowing the bilateral nerve root. What should we do?

Dear sir or madam, I just got a call from my brother in home country telling me that his wife got an MIR lumber spine Medical laboratory result Disc dehydration and posterior central protrusion narrowing the bilateral nerve root . The doctor told him that she should make a surgery and he is too worried for doing so as many told him that doing so may cause a greater problem. Would you please advice what we should do , and is it as was told that doing the surgery causes a greater probelm ? Thanks for your help in advance. Ali
Asked On : Mon, 22 Oct 2012