Lower right abdominal pain, severe gas, cramps. Causes for discomfort?

I had an episode of lower right abdominal pain yesterday morning that was so severe I nearly fainted. It felt like horrible gas. After I defecated (normal stool ) I felt better. This morning it happened again, but was not as severe. A few moments ago I woke up with another episode of pain. This time it was severe. The pain is not sharp, but again feels like really bad gas. It was almost as if I was cramping because the pain would subside a bit then get worse. This lasted for about 10 minutes. Now I am sitting up and I feel fine. What could be causing my discomfort?
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013