Itchy back, scars, scabs, treated for it also plus thyroid and GERD. Should i see a Dermatologist?

I have had an extremely itchy back for years...the past few years it has felt as if I have little stickers or tiny hard whiteheads. I dig out tiny whiteheads when I scratch too. They itch like crazy and I have scratched them raw and the areas are constantly infected because of all my digging. I have tried everything I can think of to stop the itch and heal my wounds. There are many scars and scabs because of it. Permanent ones. I am embarassed by them and try to keep them covered. My arms also itch, it is just like something is biting me...but there is nothing there. I have depression and am being treated for it also plus thyroid and GERD . I want to stop digging but I can t seem to because the itch is so intense, I also think that maybe I have OCD with the scratching . My dad always complained of his back feeling like he had little stickers or pricks under his skin too. I guess maybe I should see a Dermotologist but am not sure if insurance will cover the visit and treatment. Please help me if you can, Thank You. I am a 56 years old female... and I live in the upper midwest USA.
Asked On : Sun, 24 Feb 2013