Is there Ectopic or molar pregnancy as my HCG level is elevated even after a miscarriage ?

I m 24 and had a natural miscarriage on 5/27 at 6 weeks, my hcg levels were around 17000. When at the ER a pelvic ultrasound revealed that my uterus was empty and I experienced heavy bleeding for about 10 days following. At a follow up visit with my dr on 6/16 my hcg levels were elevated to 63000 and my dr thinks that I still may be pregnant? What could be going on as I started my period 6/21 and have not had sex with my partner in over a month? Could this be an ectopic or molar pregnancy and if so, should this have been revealed when I had a pelvic ultrasound?
Asked On : Sat, 25 Jun 2011