Irregular periods. How to regulate periods? Safe to take folic acid?

Hello doctor, I want to consult you regarding two things: 1. I am 26 years old and married since 1 year 10 months. From last few i am having irregular period and from last three months its 40 days cycle. We are also planning for our first baby, so i am little worried what to do to regulate my cycles properly. 2. Secondly, i have heard that we should take folic acid (400mcg) while Trying to conceive. So, can i take 400mcg of 1 tablet of Folic acid daily from now. Please suggest me about both the above points. Thanks in advance.
Asked On : Tue, 2 Oct 2012