Inflamed tonsils with white plagues, sore throat. Gums sensitive, sore. Cause for above symptoms?

I have inflammed tonsils with white plaques on them. When it first began i had some night chills however when i got up to check temperature i was 98.3f with tenderness and hypersensitivity upon waking up. Symptoms lasted for one night, although my sore throat lasted approximately 4 days and is going away now. But my gums are very sensitive and sore now as well. I had a rapid strep done and it was negative. Do you believe it may be mono ? Could it be herpes simplex? The reason why i ask is because i JUST discovered what appears to be herpes simplex on my chest . However there is nothing in my mouth that appears the same as what is on my chest.
Asked On : Sat, 23 Feb 2013