If you are having a retrovaginal fistula, to whom should i consult ?

If your having a retrovaginal fistula surgery what kind of specialist is the best for the repair Obsetrician or Colorectal Speaialist I am 32 years old and I started having the fistula after my first birth when I was 26. As far as I know I haven t had any symptoms of Chrom s Disease. Course I know this is very rare to happen, but my aunt on my mom s side this same type of fistula happened when she had her first son. I am not sure if it s something heriditary or not. When I had my first child 5 years ago, I ended up having a very traumitizing childbirth . The doctor had to use a vaccum and in turn I had 4th stage Larceration. I had many stitches to the vaginal area and to the anal area. After a week I noticed when I had a bowel movement I had leakage between the areas. WHen I would wipe bowel leakage would come to the Vagina. I immediately went to the emergency room and he referred me to a Colorectal specialist. When I went to the specialist he said although he was able to find the fistula that I would have to wait at least 3 months for the area s swelling to go down to determine the damage I had. Well, at that time I only kept state insurance until 3 months after the baby was born and didn t have insurance after that. As time went on I became scared to have the surgery because the fear of pain that I experienced the first time. I also had trouble to take the time off from work. Well, it s now 5 years later and I am trying to get the fistula fixed. This time I went to an Obsetrician and she actually wasn t able to feel the fistula but she said the perineal was extremely thin and I had alot of scar tissue, but during the surgery she could put dye in to find the fistula to repair it. She said it was like disecting and reconstructing it. Well I wondering if retrovaginal fistula and vaginal fistula were the same? Am I seeing the right type of doctor to repair the fistula? I didn t know if I needed to see Obsetrician or a Colorectal specialist? Should the doctor have an idea where the fistula is before I go into the surgery? What are my chances of the fistula to heal? What chances would I have of something going wrong and I would have to use a coloscopy bag? Thank you for all your help.
Asked On : Sun, 27 Mar 2011