I had a period for one day. Is it normal ?

I had a period for 1 day, it stopped the next, then it stared for another day and then stopped again and i havent had it since. what could it be?
Asked On : Fri, 14 Jan 2011
There is usually a pathology concerned with your kind of symptoms.Another factor is age.If you are a young female,then i would suggest getting a pelvic ultraosund to rule out cysts.You should also get a hormone profile done including thyroid.
OBGYN Dr. Rakhi Tayal's  Response
Hi Nancylee,
Welcome to healthcare magic forum.Irregular periods like you had are mostly due to hormonal disturbance. Still first of all check for pregnancy using pregcard. If not pregnant and this is your first episode, ignore it and wait for your normal period.If you are postmenopausal, then of course it is serious and you need a thoughrough check up.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal
I am a 24 year old girl, the only other time i have had a short "period" like this is when i found out i was pregnant. My other period are normal. not sure what to think, i took a HPT but it came back negative, but i also took this the day my "period" stopped. so i guess i should retest. If its not that then I will call my regular doctor and get a test done. I had 1 cyst about a year ago and it had disappeared. hoping that is not the case again!
Thank you for the advice!