How to fix a hole in the ear without operation?

i have hole in my ear that possible for me the hole to close without doing any operation? is this a serious problem?
Asked On : Tue, 18 Jan 2011
hi doctor is it harmfull myringoplasty
ENT Specialist Dr. Sonia. S. V's  Response
Hi, I am Dr Sonia S V. I am an ENT Surgeon & Head & Neck Specialist. If you haVisit an ENT specialist in your locality been diagnosed with a hole in your ear drum the treatment depends on a couple of factors:
1.Duration from which you have had the hole.An ear drum perforation occurring as a result of a recent infection can heal without surgery in many cases.A hole occurring following trauma such as a slap on the ears can heal in majority of the cases on its own.
2.Size of the Hole:A small hole can be helped to heal with local application of certain medications by the ENT Surgeon without a major surgery
3.Location of the hole: Certain holes are located in critical areas such as the attic or postero-superiorly [ medical terms] and these require careful treatment
4. Complications - dizziness ,facial paralysis all require more urgent treatment

Surgery for the hole is recommended as presence of the hole leaves your middle ear exposed to the external environment and produces
ear discharge
hearing loss
sounds in ear[ tinnitus]
reccurrent infections in ear
risk of complications elsewhere
The surgery to close the ear drum hole is called a tympanoplasty or myringoplasty .In expert hands it has excellent results and few complications
For more information on ear drum hole:

All the best
Dr Sonia Suprabha Venugopal
Consultant ENT Head & Neck Surgery,Bangalore