How can sinus infection be treated ?

what is the best cure for sinus infection?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Aug 2011
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
I liked the way you put the question. You are very dot specific asking about it. To convince you I will try to answer it very specifically. Here it goes -

BEST CURE for SINUS INFECTION -- Amoxycillin + Clavulanic acid combination

Now, lot of contradiction will come from other experts if a discussion starts. This answer i put forward is very specific and based on my clinical day to day practice.
Few explanation - Sinus infection generally spreads from nose and nasopharynx which are mainly susceptible to penicillin group of antibiotics (Specifically amoxycillin. Clavulanic acid increases effectiveness of amoxycillin). You have asked about "sinus infection" and NOT Sinusitis (Sinus inflammation) that too about "best cure", so I believe "best cure" for any bacterial infection is antibiotis i.e., eradication of the bacteria and for sinus it is amoxycillin. BUT, infection will accompany inflammation and other supportive treatment like antihistaminic, mucolytic, NSAID, steam inhalation may be needed.
I hope i could convince you.
Thanks and take care
General & Family Physician Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale's  Response

.sinus is a cavity in nasal bone & sinusitis is inflammation &infection of sinus IT's usually 2ndry to common cold that is mostly due to allergy /infection.( again a difficult entity to control) So the deep sited infection is v. difficult to cure.
It needs-investigations ,& a consitant treament.
-sufficiently long antibiotic & anti cold treatment.
-Vapour inhailation (with eucaliptus if not allergic to) regular & for a long period to clear the sinus.
-To avoid the allergens (the substnces instigating cold)
-desensatisation treatment to remove the allergy (for chronic sinus)
You have to consult ENT dr. & allegy specialist for proper dosage.