History of auto accident. MRI shows SLAP tear, DJD changes at AC joint causing impingement sydrome. Should I stretch shoulder?

The following is from an MRI I had done recently on my left shoulder. Injuries sustained in a auto accident on 1 NOV 2012. Today, 28 Feb 2012, was my first visit w/ Ortho. I m being told to stretch my arm for the next two months ( physical therapy ) to loosen up my shoulder before surgery to repair the SLAP tear. However, I though an impingement was that the joint is being restricted, and you shouldn t move it so much because it s rubbing the tendons (?). I have a prescription for Norco and Naproxen . Question: Should I be stretching my shoulder. Final Report MRI SHOULDER, LEFT WO GAD Technique: Multiple T1 and T2 sequences were obtained using standard departmental protocol. Intra-articular Magnevist was not administered. Comparison: Left shoulder done on 19 December 2012. FINDINGS: Rotator cuff: The supraspinatus and infraspinatus are intact. There is normal rotator cuff musculature bulk. The teres minor is unremarkable. The subscapularis is normal. Biceps tendon and labrum: The intracapsular portion of the biceps tendon is intact. The biceps tendon demonstrates a normal attachment at its biceps-labral anchor attachment site. A SLAP tear is identified. AC joint: Moderately severe DJD changes at the AC joint. Osseous structures: There is no evidence for fracture. Marrow signal is normal. There is no evidence of osteonecrosis . Soft tissues: Normal. IMPRESSION: SLAP tear is identified. Moderately severe DJD changes at the AC joint causing impingement syndrome .
Asked On : Sun, 3 Mar 2013