Heart keeps skipping beats and thuds at the end. Smoke regularly. ECG required, worried?

My heart keeps skipping beats/palpitating and thuds at the end. Has been going on for a couple of days now. I do smoke regularly and have felt this before but never ever has it occured for this long over and over again. My aunt and grandfather have the same condition but I do not know if they experience it the way that I have the last couple of days. I have mentioned something about it to my aunt before and she said that her and my grandfather have it as well. Should I get an EKG? Or what? I am getting worried because like I said I have not experienced it like this before. I was told by a friend today that it could be a panic attack which is something I ve never experienced before either...I thought those affected your breathing as well so I figure it can t be that.
Asked On : Sun, 22 Apr 2012