Headache at the shunt site of the head, pain ranges from mild to intense, has programmable VP shunt due to congenital hydocephalus, no relief with medicines. Treatment?

Hi! I am 31 years old and have a programmable VP shunt due to congenital hydrocephalus . It was placed in August 2009. I also have slit vents and stiff vents, so CT s are always normal. Over the past year or so I have begun to experience headaches at the shunt site on my head. They range from mildly annoying to almost debilitating. No OTC meds make them go away completely, although asprin and ibuprophin combo seems to work best. The only way to make it truly bearable when it gets bad it to put an ice pack on my head. I had a shunt series and CT done in November and they were both normal. It does not feel like a malfunction, and the is no positional aspect to it other than a great deal of dizziness and vertigo if I bend over and straighten up. Just curious if there is a known problem with shunt aches and if so what is the best course of treatment. Thanks so much for your time.
Asked On : Fri, 13 Apr 2012